View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 08:24 PM   #17
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD

(And it's about time you posted...)
TD-- Other than your opinions about the clutch and lack of some more power, what did you think about the rest of the package?

JST-- Is this replacing the M3 or something else? What do you think about (also, other than your concern about needing more power)?
Replacing the M3.

Actually, in most driving I prefer it to the M3. The suspension is at least as firm, if not slightly firmer, with excellent body control (keep in mind the dampers on the M were 27K miles old). Handling is precise, as is the steering (which probably has a lot to do with the fact that the ZHP has 225 series Pilots on the fronts, as opposed to the 245 series T1s I was running on the M3). The shifter has a more buttery feel; the M3 had to be manhandled, especially when cold, but the ZHP always feels smooth and crisp. The shorter shift lever is nice, too, except that the armrest gets in my way more now.

The bodyshell is noticeably stiffer. How much of this is sedan v. coupe, and how much is 166 miles v. 27,600, I don't know, but there is less flex. Speaking of sedan, the sedan is a nicer all around car than the coupe, partly because of the extra convenience of the doors, and partly because the headroom is better--my hair doesn't rub the way it did in the 323Ci and M3. The trunk is more useful, too, especially since I don't have to lug around a spare in the trunk space.

TD really doesn't like the clutch. I have to say, once I figured out that the engagement point is ridiculously far up in the travel, I was able to drive it smoothly and modulate it pretty well. Ultimately, the M3 clutch was heavier and gave more feedback, but this one is easier to use on a day to day basis. Much to my chagrin, I can't find the clutch stop that I bought and never used on my E36--it might actually be useful on this car.

The power...

Well, it is what it is. It's definitely weak in the lower rev band, and I've been keeping it largely under 4K, but you can feel it start to wake up was the revs climb. As with all BMW 6s, it has a spooky smoothness that makes adding revs feel like nothing at all. It's also geared a lot taller than the M3, which contributes to its pokiness off the line (but makes for more relaxed crusing--6th is something that I only use on the highway).

The power is about the only thing I'm going to really miss about the M3--that frantic blast as the engine ripped up past 4500 RPM on its way to 8K. That and probably the LSD. But this car is adequate in most circumstances, and it is a lot cheaper.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote