View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
JST

Perseveration begins

Well, it actually began a while ago, but it is starting to get serious.

The Mini is now three years old; it has one year of warranty left and is out of covered maintenance. Despite this being one of the longest stretches I've kept a car, I'm still quite happy with it and wouldn't sell it, but impending family needs dictate something that can fit two kids.

The basic list of requirements won't surprise anyone--space for two car seats, manual transmission, some modicum of driving verve, etc. Too much of a focus on performance (e.g., having summer tires or no sunroof) is generally a negative, given that the mission of this car is to be a family carrier (and I've got an M3 and a Boxster on the bench).

The list of acceptable vehicles is surprisingly short, I've found. The GTI/A3 is nice, but a touch on the small side. Moreover, these cars are like an iceberg salad with ranch dressing, after 3 years with the Mini--fundamentally they're quite bland, and any interesting elements feel like an overlay, not baked in.

The Clubman JCW is almost exactly what I want, but it's a smidge too small and the lack of a fourth door is a deal breaker.

I haven't driven a WRX yet, but I'm disinclined toward one of those because they are overly thirsty and overly ugly.

A Saab 9-3 wagon is a possibility, but the platform is long in tooth and who knows whether Spyker will be around in 2 years?

A Cadillac CTS might work, but by the time you spec one out it's 45K. I'm not necessarily opposed to spending that, but I'd rather not--and can I find a reasonable lease on a Cadillac? I'm not going to buy something as bizarre as a stick shift Cadillac.

A Buick Regal would be worth a drive, but the sticks aren't out yet and the same question re: leasing applies.

A Pontiac G8 GXP is a dark horse candidate, but they are hard to find and are often the subject of high asking prices when you do find them.

A Mazdaspeed3 is probably out before the bidding begins, just because FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOOK AT IT.

So, the front-runners right now are:

1. Countryman Cooper S. The pricing has been released and is surprisingly reasonable--equipped the way I'd want it, it's about 32. On paper, it looks like exactly what I want. Despite being nominally an SUV, it's shorter than a Golf, weighs at least 200 lbs less than the VW, and has excellent fuel economy figures. The downsides? Can the engine handle the extra weight without feeling burdened? And it won't be available for test drives 'til Jan, meaning I might have to order one before driving it.

2. 328iT. The 328 really is a nice all-around car, and this is likely the last year of the iT (meaning it's the last time I can order one just like I want it). The disadvantages are cost (MSRP of about 43, as I'd spec it), the need to have a separate set of snow tires (not really that big a deal), and the fact that I'd have yet another 3er.

3. S4. I don't really like the 2.0T in the A4, but I haven't tried the S4. A basic one is on the high side of 47, though, which is almost certainly more than I want to spend. Maybe to replace the M3 next year...

Any others to consider?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote