View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #59
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
So the story JST posted is all over the Tesla forums. Here's some more info from that:

1) Tesla announced that the just-ended quarter will be their first profitable quarter. They sold >4,750 cars in the quarter (over 250 more than they had previously estimated).

2) They cancelled the 40kWh version of the Model S -- only 4% of orders were for the 40kWh, so they decided it wasn't worth the final development. As of today, they are no longer taking orders for the 40kWh. If someone already had one on order, they are being given a choice of a) changing the order to get a 60kWh for $10k more, or b) taking delivery of a 60kWh that is software limited to the range the 40kWh would have been, and they have a future option of paying $11k to have the range limit removed.

3) They announced that all Model S built to date and going forward will include the Supercharger hardware. It is enabled by standard on all 85kWh cars, but it is disabled via software on all 60kWh unless a) you pay $2000 when ordering the car, or b) pay $2500 in the future to remove the software limitation. Previously, this was an option on the 60kWh -- but was thought to have been a hardware difference that could not be retrofitted.

So what does this mean for me? I had already decided to get the 60kWh battery since the 40kWh would have been a bit limiting in range for what I do (especially being conservative and assuming some loss of range over the life of the battery). I had also decided to get the Supercharger option on the car for future proofing for use at both Tesla's Superchargers and potentially at CHAdeMO chargers* -- but now I'm going to re-think that. Basically will compare buying the car with and without the Supercharger option, and if without figuring out the payback if I were to buy it later. This would have the advantage of not enabling it until Tesla adds Superchargers in AZ or brings out the CHAdeMO adapter.

*Regarding CHAdeMO: This is a DC fast charging standard used in Japan, but also becoming common in the US and Europe (including 13 in the Phoenix area). Tesla has announced they will include a CHAdeMO adapter on cars sold in Japan, and as an option in Europe. Its likely they'll offer it in the US too. Charging won't be as fast as a Supercharger (which can charge up to 300 mph -- miles of range added per hour of charging) -- but would likely add 150-200 mph...

Last edited by ZBB; 04-02-2013 at 01:19 AM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote