View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #2202
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Well, part of what's going on here is that the lack of standard (generally) applies to Level 3, DC fast charging--not Level 1 or Level 2 charging. DC fast charging is both a lot of more expensive and a lot more cumbersome than "normal" chargers, but it's also only really for trips--there's no need to plug your car into a fast charger if you're at work all day, or in a parking garage all night.

So I don't think the problem is as big as you think.
If you didn't have ready access to fast charging at your house and/or your work garage, would you still think it's not an issue worth considering?

But what would be the alternative? A government mandate that requires standard outlets? How do you deal with the 80,000 cars that Tesla just sold last quarter that comply with Tesla's standard? How do you incentivize other companies to build their own charging networks, if building the network doesn't help them sell cars? Are you literally going to prohibit Porsche from building an 800V fast charging network because they think it gives them a competitive advantage?[/quote]

US car sales have averaged something around 15 million units/year for the past 20 years, I think. Maybe 180 million of those are still seeing some kind of regular use? If the early adopters get screwed or have to buy another adopter, it's unfortunate, but, meh. Compromising the future benefit of millions in order to protect the infinitesimally small number of existing product purchases owned almost exclusively by those that will adapt just fine—maybe with an internet gripe or two—seems quite short sighted.

Also, from what you describe, it sounds like all the manufacturers would benefit by having someone else build out the charging network who can exclusively focus on that task. Why would I want to incentivize them to build proprietary networks?

What exactly is wrong with a standard connection/charging method? Doesn't necessarily have to government mandated.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote