Thread: Garage lift
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

A good friend has a 4 post Atlas from Greg Smith Equipment that he's been pretty happy with for a long time. 4 posts are great for fitting in an extra car. Even if you don't plan on doing work, they can simplify some tasks. At a minimum, it lets you see the underside of the car which lets you keep an eye on things much more easily.

They have a bit of a footprint, but not much. The Atlases are 115" wide (including 10" for the motor which is raised). I'd probably want a garage at least 22' wide to consider a 4 post. I could fit one in my 19' wide garage, but that's too narrow for me to be happy.

What kind of ceiling height you need depends on a lot of things, but it's easy to figure out the bare minimum: Add the heights of the two cars together and add six more inches for the runways (the Atlas runways are 4.5", so 6" is a pretty realistic minimum clearance).

If we think about stacking one 51" tall 718 Boxster above a second one, that's 116". So, 8' 6" is probably too short. You also didn't mention whether the garage door eats any of that space.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote