View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #1306
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
On an autocross course it's actually kind of amazing because the computer fixes so many mistakes without really slowing the car down. It strikes me that it must be one of the safest cars on the road because even with the performance version in "track" (or whatever) mode, the driver can manhandle the car pretty badly and the computer is like "hold my beer." I have to imagine it takes a lot of talent to spin one of these off the road

The factory shocks are abysmal, and it doesn't have nearly enough spring rate for the weight. As soon as someone fits one of these with decent shocks, it's gonna be an amazing car.

But the Model X and the Model S don't have the magic built into them that the 3 does, which was my point.

Ultimate speed and rocket acceleration are kind of a "don't care" for me... except it's very cool to me that there's really no penalty for the capability. Normally if you buy a car that has insane acceleration capability, it also comes with the baggage of horrible economy when you're not hammering it. The Tesla, not so much. They can keep adding power and motors and there's little to no affect on how economical the car is in putt-putt traffic. I love that.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote