View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #19
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Aside from the deep gears, that sounds like a pretty excellent road trip car.

Did you take any mental notes on how the trip would have been different in the hamburger?
Our stops would have been slightly more structured. I set off from CHS knowing where we were going to spend the night but other than that I didn't really plan where to stop--I wouldn't have done that in the Tesla. Also, I'm not sure I would have tried to average 85 in the Tesla. It can do it, but the energy consumption goes way up at that speed, so keeping it under 80 is better for overall time management.

But there are enough superchargers on 95 now that it wouldn't have dramatically changed the trip. We'd have needed to stop in Lumberton or Fayetteville for a charge on Day One, which would have increased our time en route, but if we'd been able to charge overnight in Rocky Mount (or supercharge at the supercharger that was coincidentally in the parking lot of where we had dinner) we probably wouldn't have had to stop at all on the second day. That would have deprived me of my gas stop at the Slip In, though, which is a little Americana that I'd be sad to lose.

The Mustang is a good trip car for two people. More than that you'd run out of luggage space, but it was relatively comfortable and not loud by the standards of a convertible. It's better on the highway than my Boxster is.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote