View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #66
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
Alternatively, I'd like to mention that not all disabilities are visible.

Also, the law does not distinguish between the potential number of users for each space - as my father (an architect) said, "chemotherapy centers and bowling alleys are both required to have the same percentage of handicap parking spots". Sometimes the medical facilities designate additional spaces beyond what is required, sometimes not. The doctors' office building where my spine surgeon has 1/2 floor has 3 handicap spaces. For the whole building. Yeesh. The theater where Sue and I go to see movies occasionally has far more spaces.

At one end of the scale, the person who insists on flying with their "emotional support emu" is obviously abusing a loophole in the system. At the other end, it is sometimes really hard to tell, particularly as it is not allowed to inquire about the nature of someone's disability in most cases.
This is all true, but when all 8 spots are taken at BJ's and as I wait for one to free up I see people load up heavy items and move with a hop on their step, I call BS.

I agree that there may be other disabilities, but if handicapped spots cannot be used by the guy with one leg, then what's the point?

The number of handicapped spots taken compared to people with the faintest visible disability is such a huge ratio that logic tells me that the system is being abused.

I'm not saying it is easy for some elderly (but not THAT old) or some heavy people to walk longer distances, but that should be a different level of priority if at all. I also depends massively on the size of the parking lot.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote