View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #65
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Related rant: As someone who had a legitimate handicap tag for a few months following an awful ankle injury, it is enraging to find no handicapped spots because they are all taken by seemingly able-bodied people. I had surgery a week ago to have the hardware removed and didn't want apply and get a tag for about a week of use. Not having one I parked in a regular spot and went to get lunch with my crutches as I walk past two people getting out of handicapped spots while having no issues.
Alternatively, I'd like to mention that not all disabilities are visible.

Also, the law does not distinguish between the potential number of users for each space - as my father (an architect) said, "chemotherapy centers and bowling alleys are both required to have the same percentage of handicap parking spots". Sometimes the medical facilities designate additional spaces beyond what is required, sometimes not. The doctors' office building where my spine surgeon has 1/2 floor has 3 handicap spaces. For the whole building. Yeesh. The theater where Sue and I go to see movies occasionally has far more spaces.
Quote:
It is so abused, it is ridiculous. I know several people who acknowledge not having any issues, but happened to know a Dr. who got them one. It really bothers me.
At one end of the scale, the person who insists on flying with their "emotional support emu" is obviously abusing a loophole in the system. At the other end, it is sometimes really hard to tell, particularly as it is not allowed to inquire about the nature of someone's disability in most cases.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote