View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #73
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
And nobody, it seems, has plates anymore. They just get a little tag to hang from their mirror.
In NJ it is one or the other. So if you ever might need to be driven somewhere by a friend (and don't want to do a car shuffle), you need the hang tag.

As far as "questionable policies", in NJ, the rule is that the person the tag or plates was issued to needs to be able to present the accompanying ID card upon request. So if an able-bodied person gets in a car displaying a HC tag in a HC space, they could be asked by police to explain themselves. Saying "I'm going to pick up the tag holder at the entrance to the supermarket" should be valid. Saying "the tag holder asked me to drive to the market and bring them back some groceries" isn't.

I have the card because I need it. I didn't bother getting the discount fare cards for the transit systems I use because I don't need to save half the fare - what I need is access to seating. Apparently I look like I'm in bad enough shape that people sometimes offer to give their seat to me, when I'm not even looking to get a seat.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote