View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #79
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The thing though is that the Tesla gives you so many ways to track energy usage that it would be really difficult to run out of juice. You'd have to be willfully ignoring things to have that happen. And these days the Supercharger network is robust enough (at least on the East Coast) that you've got multiple divert options if you need them.

I've never had anything like range anxiety in a Tesla. I've had it below 50 miles of range maybe once or twice in my entire history owning the cars.
I agree completely. The tip planner in the car is very helpful, especially the energy forecast graph. Although it does take a couple trips to get the feel for how to trust it. The Supercharger density also helps tremendously -- so many more options now than we used to have, and Supercharger-equipped routes are so much simpler than going off the Supercharger highway -- which I've been known to do

Quote:
The planning thing really isn't that bad. It requires more effort than just jumping in your car and going, but it doesn't require that much more effort. And for trips you do more than once, you really only have to do the planning once. After that, you've got it figured out.

And the tradeoff is that you never have to think about going to the gas station during your daily driving, since the car is fully charged every morning. You may have more convenient access to gas stations than I do, but for me going to the gas station during the week is actually kind of a pain in the ass.
Agree on both these points. The web and app-based trip planners are easy to use and help me evaluate different routes and options. There are a couple of them now also (although I still use evtripplanner.com -- its so good that Tesla hired the kid that built it!)

As for charging at home, its wonderful. 90% of my driving has been in town and I very rarely charge anywhere other than home. The only exception is if I'm out someplace that has free chargers, and I'll use them occasionally (there is a movie theater near our house in OH). And I'm still charging on 120V in OH -- we have 20A outlets in the garage, and I get just enough energy out of it (1.9kW) to recover my commuting on all but the coldest days, and then I get ~80% recovery and catch up on the weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
What's interesting is imagining how a future of electric cars and charging needs will change what a "gas station" looks like and what it does. Kind of like how libraries are changing now that they are freed from the central task of book storage.
Tesla has a drive-in under construction:
https://electrek.co/2018/03/13/tesla...arger-station/

Quote:
Plugging in takes 10 seconds. It's second nature now.