View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #77
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Charging at home does not require a garage. My wall charger is mounted outside, as are many other chargers.* They are weather proof.

The planning thing really isn't that bad. It requires more effort than just jumping in your car and going, but it doesn't require that much more effort. And for trips you do more than once, you really only have to do the planning once. After that, you've got it figured out.

And the tradeoff is that you never have to think about going to the gas station during your daily driving, since the car is fully charged every morning. You may have more convenient access to gas stations than I do, but for me going to the gas station during the week is actually kind of a pain in the ass.

*"Chargers" is colloquial here. The actual "charger" for AC electricity is mounted in the car; the thing on the wall is just a fancy electronically controlled switch. DC fast chargers are actually "chargers," in that they have the charging equipment mounted outside the car. A Tesla Supercharger is basically a stack of (ten?) of the same chargers that are mounted in the car, mounted on a pedestal.

Is the wall charger actually mounted to your home ? I’m not sure I’d like to mount something to my home ... how does this thing look on your house ... any pics ??

I’d consider a Tesla later this year when my A6 goes back but the whole plugging it in thing sounds like a little bit of a pain plus being we have 4 out of our 6 cars parked outside I don’t really have a specified place on my driveway that I park.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote