View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #75
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
This is a very interesting thread ... though I know that the future is electric it would really bother me I need to plan out my trip around getting my car charged. Also the idea of having to wait around for 30 minutes in the middle of a road trip would get me crazy, heck I don't even like stopping for the bathroom but we have no choice.

I was reading that the Porsche Mission E will have 20 minute quick charging allowing 250 miles of driving but still that is a lot longer than the 5 minutes it takes to get gas.

Plus the whole charging at home thing requires the car to be garaged ... I just realized what does JST do being he doesn't have a garage

Per the actual article on the Porsche:

The 800-volt chargers could recharge a Mission E to 80 percent capacity — or about 250 miles worth of driving range — in less than 20 minutes

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/16/...klaus-zellmer/
Charging at home does not require a garage. My wall charger is mounted outside, as are many other chargers.* They are weather proof.

The planning thing really isn't that bad. It requires more effort than just jumping in your car and going, but it doesn't require that much more effort. And for trips you do more than once, you really only have to do the planning once. After that, you've got it figured out.

And the tradeoff is that you never have to think about going to the gas station during your daily driving, since the car is fully charged every morning. You may have more convenient access to gas stations than I do, but for me going to the gas station during the week is actually kind of a pain in the ass.

*"Chargers" is colloquial here. The actual "charger" for AC electricity is mounted in the car; the thing on the wall is just a fancy electronically controlled switch. DC fast chargers are actually "chargers," in that they have the charging equipment mounted outside the car. A Tesla Supercharger is basically a stack of (ten?) of the same chargers that are mounted in the car, mounted on a pedestal.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote