View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #73
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
That would drive me a little nuts. There are plenty of people that love having a circuit board do the thinking for them (maybe the same people that love automatic-transmission'ed Camrys), but I'm not one of them.

I suspect that the crippled charging feature is saving someone else a few pennies here and there. And/or maybe your batteries will survive more charging cycles, trickle charging whenever possible. And since you have enough, in the computer's eyes, to get where you're going...

That got me to thinking, what happens when you run out of battery out on the interstate? Get towed to the nearest charging station?
As ZBB and I said, this isn't a crippled charging feature; it's just how DC fast charging works as you approach the top limit of the battery.

If you run out of juice on the highway, yeah, you get towed. So, don't do that.

The thing though is that the Tesla gives you so many ways to track energy usage that it would be really difficult to run out of juice. You'd have to be willfully ignoring things to have that happen. And these days the Supercharger network is robust enough (at least on the East Coast) that you've got multiple divert options if you need them.

I've never had anything like range anxiety in a Tesla. I've had it below 50 miles of range maybe once or twice in my entire history owning the cars.

EDIT: This is another good resource, showing the locations of all of the various superchargers. It also has a trip planning function, though it's not as complex as EV Trip Planner.
https://supercharge.info/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote