View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #815
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
But yeah, for the most part I think the model 3 is still compelling. Unlike with bmw, however, I wouldn’t feel as compelled to get the top model because the lesser ones are still good. Witty bmw, you are essentially paying more money to “fix” the issues as you move up
-320-> 330 gives you acceptable performance
-330->340 gives you a refined engine
-340->m3 gives you decent steering and suspension.
When I read this it made sense.... and yet I thought to myself... "Hmmmm, I seem to have done the exact opposite in both cases." (Slow E46, Fast Model 3). I was thinking about it today and realized why.

With the BMW, in order to get the power you also need to take a number of other things - a stiffer ride, stupid aggressive wheels/tires, a louder exhaust, a race inspired engine that "loves to rev" (translation: you need to rev the shit out of it to get the claimed power), and a boy-racer styling.

I'm finally realizing that for me these all fall into clyde's "want to want" category, not "actually want".

With the Tesla I can have the power without any compromises. I get a normal sedan (well, by some definition normal) that doesn't sacrifice any of the characteristics I actually want in a daily driver - it's comfortable, quiet, efficient, doesn't look boy-racer, and is excellent to commute to NYC with it's regen-braking and 1-pedal driving. But if I'm feeling frisky I can also accelerate 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. It's stupid fast without the down sides of a sports car.

I left the test drive thinking, "I want to want a sports car, but I actually want one of these."
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote