View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

There are MANY occasions of me getting pulled over, mostly at night, for speeding and failure to stop (5-speed stick + no traffic at night + too tired after work to FULLY stop = "California Stop").

In all those times, I was in scrubs with my hospital I.D. There seems to be some sort of professional courtesy, because the LEOs let me off with just a warning.

There is a section of road on my way home from work where the speed limit changes twice in a couple of miles. Because I am coming home from work after a 10-hour shift, at 2:30 AM, with little to no vehicular traffic, I usually set my cruise control 8 mph OVER the speed limit. Pretty reasonable, imho. Anyway, the first time I got stopped in that area (about 4 miles from my house), it was by an LEO who was in a white SUV. I usually pull WAY over to ensure the cop's safety, I turn off my engine, turn on my interior lights, and put both my hands on top of the steering wheel. I was extremely polite. When he asked me for my documents, I even said, "They're in my glove box. May I get them ??". (I always make sure to say this, because I have a CCW permit, cops know this info at the time and get EXTREMELY paranoid). It is my experience that putting the cops at ease with these actions increases your chances of being let go with just a warning. We make small talk about the hospital I work at and his pleasant experience there as a patient, and lets me go a few minutes later.

Fast forward a week or two later, and I'm in that same area again. A white SUV appears out of nowhere, and I see what seems to be the same SUV, and he pulls me over. When I roll down my window, he exclaims, "YOU AGAIN ?!?!" We both laugh, but this time, he doesn't bother to check my papers and just lets me go.

About a month later, I'm in that same area again. As I'm driving home, I pass a white SUV going the other way. I look in my rearview and see that he whips his truck and follows me for about a mile. Again, I'm doing about 8 mph over the limit, or about 53 mph, which is reasonable for that road at that time of night. We are the only two vehicles on the road. All of a sudden he whips the SUV around and leaves me on my merry way home. I'm kind of laughing inside, because I'm pretty sure that it was the same LEO who stopped me the last 2 times on that road.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Last edited by 3LOU5; 07-14-2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: edit
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote