View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #517
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Bloomfield College - believe me, parking is tough enough. Perhaps there's a charging station off campus.

How would this work:

My uncle lives in a New Hampshire resort area 13 miles from the nearest "town" (where there would likely be charging stations).

I visit him twice a year - it's about a 250 mile trek each way. Once there, we do quite a bit of driving around, going to dinner, the hardware store, stuff like that (everything's far away). How would I accomplish the "filling up" given the distance from town to where he lives? Would I leave the car in town 13 miles away while it charges up or just wait it out? How would I get there from CT 250 miles away without charging up? How long does it take to do these things?

I ask because I really don't know, but I wonder, when I look at how I drive, how I could ever accomplish a weekend like that with a Tesla without spending considerable time not only planning everything around refueling, but actually waiting for the refueling to happen.
Could you add a charging circuit at his house? Or, if it's a resort area, suggest to the resort property owners that doing so might be in their interest?

Depending on the run/type, they are not that expensive--a NEMA 14/50 is a 240V, 50 Amp circuit, and the Tesla can add 20-30 miles of range per hour of charge on one of those.

But, yeah. Like I said, there are going to be cases where an electric car--even one with the range of the Tesla--won't work. For some people, a Tesla won't work as their only car for that reason. I certainly imagine that I will have to take one of my gas cars on some trips, even assuming the Supercharger build-out goes according to plan.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote