View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #29
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
I wouldn't worry about the dealership feeling screwed. They won't extend the same courtesy towards you. And they won't progress any further downwards in negotiations if it doesn't make sense for them.

Just like the buyer should, the dealership enters negotiations knowing what their $$ numbers need to be.

Of course, your time is valuable too. I would never spend hours haggling over something like $200. To me that seems silly, and at that point it's probably more of a chest-beating exercise. If I can't get to where I want to be in the deal within ~20 minutes, then it wasn't meant to be.
I think it's also a lot different buying a basic car versus a BMW. There are a lot more smarmy tricks at Honda dealers and such. At least that was my experience the three times I and my family bought Hondas.

I always find the least smarmy customer rep at BMW or whatever, and then take the deal to email only. I never cement anything in person. I need to be able to take my time, do my calculations, research, etc. without any external pressure.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote