Thread: Dial 911
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 07:58 PM   #1428
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
See, I've actually come to believe the opposite. The period during which your kids can fit (not even comfortably, just *at all*) in the back of a 911 is really not very long. Maybe 5-7 years, starting from booster age up through like 10 or so? And 10 is optimistic, if they're kinda small.

But putting kids in the back seat of a 911 means no luggage space except the frunk, and I've sort of thought about using the Boxster with only the frunk and it would be tight (especially with a spare up there).

Anyway, with the benefit of hindsight (and now that the kids are old enough to ride in the front of a two-seater), I'm just not sure that owning a 911 is worth the candle for its extra usability as a parent.

The other thing I've been thinking about quite a bit is that it's really pretty weird that the 2 seat Boxster is the "entry level" Porsche, given that it embodies maybe better than anything short of a GT the sort of sporting ethos you expect from a Porsche. It's not a grand tourer, like the 911 has become--it's a sports car. Wild that it's the cheap one.

Porsche's marketing is still so powerful that I want a 911, if only because I've never owned one and it feels like I should. But when I think about actual, day to day usability? I think the Boxster is a better fit. It's more fun and it's arguably better at some daily stuff, because it has two locking trunks. You can't take your 5 year old with you, but you can take your 9 year old, and she'll have a lot more fun than she would jammed in the back of the 911.
The whole "young children can ONLY be in a back seat" things was a bunch of bullshit 20 years ago. It's only gotten bullshittier since with newer cars.

There may be a handful of cars with seat belts that can't be properly fitted/routed with boosters seats and some kids and/or have first gen airbags that are too powerful with seats that can't be positioned rearward enough to keep the kid out of crushable range, but they are not plentiful.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote