Thread: Dial 911
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #862
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I still enjoy driving a MT. We've (nearly) always have had an AT car and that has been a wise decision. At this point we are happy enough with our cars that it's hard to imagine the next car not being electric. Although, as I mentioned, the LR4 might become enough of a dinosaur that we use it for niche jobs and may get a mid-size hybrid for my wife at some point. Maybe.

But for me, I can't imagine a P-car not in MT. Unless I win the lottery and get a GT3RS.
There are some days when I’m lost in thought and I don’t even remember how I got home. Let alone shift gears to get home.

It’s deeper than second nature to me. I’m probably even more of a purist than you because I commuted to/from Cambridge (shithole) in a non-power steering 85 targa. With a clutch heavier than your mother in law.

I think in heavier vehicles the clutch and driveline lash bothers me more. In lighter cars I really don’t find manual transmissions to be all that bad even in traffic.

The last car that really bothered me was the CTS-V? The clutch on the 996TT is a bear, but I still found that to be just fine in heavy traffic.

Automatics are better than ever so I”m sure it’s still fun. But I would never, for example, have wanderlust about a McLaren or a new C8 just because it’s PDK. That just has zero appeal to me. I get the argument that “it’s faster” but isn’t it even more amazing if “I’m keeping up with you with three pedals”?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote