View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #152
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Doug DeMuro's second round of hating on the Cybertruck.

He's a big Tesla fan but not the Cybertruck. His arguments are pretty reasonable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyd...r3S4nS9xHg1nJQ
I hadn't seen the first video... I watched both. I happen to completely agree with him. The styling is subjective; on that I feel almost let down by a company that I didn't love but had tremendous respect for. It will not grow on me. He made many of the points that I thought about but more cogently. It will really only hit the Raptor and/or EV fans getting their first trucks. I don't think there is a huge market for it. Maybe if Tesla scraps the design and it looks better...

I'm not surprised by his Model 3 love. I have held off on test driving one; I could easily see it being much better than the 340i. For my specific uses; carrying bikes on top with good old bmw racks that bolt on; driving 1000 miles in mid-winter (zeroes/teens) to remote Vermont & Quebec spots, the 340i has been a good fit. I do not drive it much and I'm not in LOVE with it or anything.

Steering is 'meh'. I think the 6MT 340i really suffers against a well-tuned 8-speed ZF but I haven't done any back to backs on that car. Somehow, the notchy box, finicky clutch and weird throttle response conspire to make shifting not as quick or fun as it could be. Would I go to an auto? No, but shifting the Porsche 6-speed is much more fun and much less of a hit compared to PDK. Perhaps the AWD grip and rotational mass make it harder on the clutch.

So yeah, Model 3 or anything comparable (and it seems there is no such thing right now) can definitely go on my radar next time around.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote