Thread: M3 review
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
M3 review

I've only put a few dozen miles in the US, but add the 1400+ miles I put in Europe and here is my review:

1) The Miata is more fun in a lot of respects. This is not dissimilar from when I had the 997TT and the MCS, where the latter was more fun at low speeds and around town.

2) That said, like the 997TT, this car is quite fast (not 997TT-fast, but 90% as fast), with the obvious benefit of seating 5 adults, far newer technology and comfort (easier to get in and out), large trunk, etc. The similarities with the 997TT at 90% are many: too fast but also offers opportunity for giggles, it's an event to drive it (sounds, looks, interior, ego/douche factor, etc.), feeling fortunate/guilty for having it. It's a lot of money spent on a want. At least the latter is massively countered with the tremendous practicality, which the 997TT lacked.

3) Auto rev-match: It's a love/hate thing. I thought it would be all hate, but it is really impeccably executed and you feel like a hero when it's enabled. It also ruins some of the fun and definitely throws me off when I go into manual mode.

4) The car sounds quite nice. Sure, maybe not E90-nice, but it sounds good and sporty. The ability to quiet it down or make it loud with a button is awesome. Haven't even noticed the fake sounds, so they are at least well-executed.

5) Yes, it's big and heavy-ish (remember, it's not much heavier than the 997TT), and there is some detachment there, but for what it is, it is remarkably agile and controlled and dare I say, fun. They must have worked some serious magic with the ZCP and 2018 MY changes because this car is great. There is a TON of grip and I've felt no reason to not push the car. It's been totally stable and confidence-inspiring. Like old BMW 3er's but with higher limits.

6) Easily the best clutch/shifter combo I've driven in a modern BMW (E46+), though the clutch is a bit light.

7) iDrive is great and the infotech UI is as well-executed as I've ever seen. Still not perfect. Also, I can't seem to find a way to skip a track from the steering wheel. I should probably RTFM at some point.

8) Those wheels are going to be a gigantic PITA to clean. Hopefully the black/grey-ness will buy me some time without looking totally gross.

9) I like my sunroof

10) The HUD is pretty awesome, though, other than during NAV use (puts turn-by-turn directions on HUD), I see no reason not to be on M-display mode (only mode that shows revs)

11) The sound system is strange. I feel like I need to be halfway up the volume dial to get remotely loud music. It's better in many ways as I feel I have more resolution at the low end, but I wonder if the upper end is not really that loud. I'll try it one day. Sound quality is good, not great.

12) I know it's new and clean, but I suspect my 14+ years without a ticket will come to an end with this attention-grabber of a car. The grey/charcoal 997TT was surprisingly stealthy. Not this.

Last edited by FC; 08-27-2018 at 08:35 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote