View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
my usual opinion of Porsche's middle ground product applies.

on principle alone, i couldn't ever buy a cayman or a boxster simply because an a priori glass ceiling for performance imposed upon a car that still costs a lot of money seems....wrong to me.

i don't doubt that boxster has better subjective attributes, but my own philosophy is that i'd rather have the most OEM power I can find and dial in the suspension because, in my experience, it's a far easier thing to dial power into suspension bits than it is to dial up the power of an OEM n/a engine.

right back at both of you.
Disagree on both points.

While marketing ruling engineering is annoying (particularly in the case of the cayman as it is a fresh design), there is always a higher performance car so I suspect there is some flawed logic supporting an emotional like of the 911 (which I share as well).

987 -> 987S -> Cayman S -> 997 -> 997S -> GT3 -> CGT (not counting the turbo branch). Where do you draw the line? For me, the 986S had "enough" (obviously subjective). Maybe the 987 is borderline - I'm not sure. The 986 was indeed "not enough" for me and a large number of enthusiasts - hence the reputation for what was a really nice car.

Even harder than upping power in n/a engines is changing the weight distribution. With RR you enter slow, turn-in slow and accelerate early. Some ppl may find it more fun to turn faster in a lower hp FR/MR car. Even in just everyday driving, there is a fun turny feel to low polar moment of inertia cars (s2000, rx8, boxster,...) that I haven't experienced in an RR car.

All fresh in my mind as I just spent a yummy afternoon driving the s2000 and the boxster S.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote