View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #322
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Well mid-season it started smoking pretty badly.
It was smoking really bad on the second run and I decided to start calling the car "Smokey," but wasn't going to say anything to you until after day 2...just in case.

Jumping back to the transmission, this is what the output shaft looked like. In case you don't know, they're #1) not supposed to be snapped like that, #2), have helical cracks like that, #3) have bendy splines like that

The next morning, JV dumped the just-picked-up replacement transmission in paddock, went to work his shift and sent one of us a text: "Please cut 20mm off the input shaft before I get back." We looked at it, we looked at the old one, we looked at them both again and discussed. "The old one is missing way less than 20mm. Not gonna cut it. Let him do that. We only have an Imperial tape measure anyway, but we do have painter tape. We can mark it like the other one. What did he use to cut the old one? A rusty hacksaw? Jesus."

JV got back and scolded us, "Well, I said to use the old one as a guide" and got to cutting.

The trans then went in. The clutch was bled.

And the car went to grid.

90 minutes from beginning to cut to grid.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote