View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #35
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
But this is also what baffles me. It's electric steering, which means they could easily create these different modes if they wanted to. The M2 steering isn't ideal, but it's better than the abortion they coded into the F30.

If they were serious about targeting multiple driver preferences, why not just make the M2 steering programming the "sport" mode across all models? The luxury cruiser buyers don't need to turn it on. It's truly a win-win.
Guessing it may have to do w/ suspension/wheels/tires as well. So many things affect steering feel and feedback. My old e46 felt completely different riding on 16s w/ winter tires vs 17s with summer tires. On the 16s it probably did a decent impression of f30 style steering. The M2 benefits by not having runflats and all the benefits that go along with that. In theory, a track handling pack F30 should feel better (w/ Michelin PSS), but they decided to bundle it with their variable ratio steering rack which people complain about. And I bet that they don't change the suspension calibration on those cars to take advantage of not having runflats. I think the M2 uses a different steering rack as well. With software only, I think can only tweak the weight, and maybe artificially add some lightness back if the car loses grip (I think mazda does that for example).

If I test-drive a 17 or 18 330 and it still feels like the 328s i've driven in the past I think that would be a deal breaker. Some of the worst steering i've experienced in a modern car

Last edited by robg; 12-13-2017 at 07:25 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote