View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Why do people forgive Porsche for the 911's engine placement?

I've never fully understood why Porsche embraces the engine hanging over the rear wheels. It's always been a peeve, but I'm not a Porsche fanboy and I don't own a 911, so whatever.

But I just watched this Doug Demuro video on the 911 GT3RS and it was the last straw. It's a $200K+ 500HP car designed for the track. Extreme weight savings including carbon fiber everywhere and decals instead of badges, 750 pounds of aerodynamic downforce, fire extinguisher, center lock wheels for quick wheel changes, giant 16.1 inch ceramic brake rotors, a "pit-speed" button to make sure you don't exceed the pit speed limits.

But the kicker for me is: The rear seats are removed to save weight... and yet the engine is still in the wrong fucking place.

Why are people so accepting of the idea of building a performance car brand around a flawed platform? Even on the cars that are maxed out for track use? All while they intentionally cripple the mid-engine platform to prop up their flawed performance brand? Why do car enthusiasts forgive them for this BS?

Last edited by rumatt; 09-25-2017 at 10:57 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote