View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

BMW 330 xdrive loaner review (G20)

Doubt many of you will care since this is about a 4 cylinder, automatic BMW no less. But for posterity...

Got a chance to try the new G20 3 series when my x3 was in for an oil change. Overall, it's probably the best "compact exec" car on the market today and they've pretty much improved everything from the F30 (except the looks). They finally fixed the loose on-center steering feel, and the 4 cyl engine now feels almost as smooth as my 6 at idle (a complaint I had about previous BMW 4 cyl applications). The dreaded fake engine sound is, of course, present although personally I don't mind it. It's quick, has a great powertrain, handles well, has a great interior, and probably the best infotainment on the market. They've continued to improve their tuning of the ZF 8 speed and the downshifts are now easily in DCT territory. Considering you'll probably be able to lease something like this for $400/month, it'd be hard to say no.

Except...for those looks. From the side it kind resembles the Lexus GS in its slab sided blockiness. Also dont like that exaggerated upward swoop on the lower body. The front looks like a cartoon drawing of a BMW and the rear is just generic. I did see one in blue (I think they call it mediterranean blue) and sort of liked it. The 6 cyl (m40i) version is even worse with its bronze painted mirror caps and weird grille design:
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/attachme...056-png.25261/

The only saving grace are the RWD proportions.

On the interior, my only real complaint was that the loaner was equipped with Sensatec (fake leather) seats. As usual, my back was covered in sweat within about 10 minutes of driving (despite AC on max). Renewed my hatred of fake leather-- but it seems to be spreading in its usage. Atleast BMW gives you an option to avoid it. Porsche, Dodge, Land Rover and a few others offer microfiber (fake suede) as an option on some of their models which would be much better. Also wasn't a big fan of the "aluminum mesh" dash trim with lines printed on it. But i guess that's also easy to avoid.

Overall, it's kind of one of those "tree falls in a forest" cars. BMW has probably produced one of their technically best cars ever, but with its looks will anyone care? Maybe the 4 series gran coupe version will improve things (can't get worse atleast).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote