View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I wish automakers would quit with the horsepower obsession, do we really need our family sedans and SUVs to rocket to 60mph in 6 seconds or less?

Our Infiniti would be just as nice a car with 50 fewer HP, a 6 or a 7 speed automatic (instead of the jack-rabbit geared 5 speed) and of course, beat-a-dead-horse, less weight.

Just as nice, but much more efficient.

Unfortunately, you can't buy the car this way - it only comes in two flavors; lead foot one (the M35) and lead foot one hundred (the M45).
But there are plenty of slow cars to choose from. May I guide you over to the four cylinder section of the aisle?

Anyway, the current horsepower obsession is the result of product decisions made when gas was $2/gal. You will get your wish; car companies will move as rapidly toward fuel efficiency as they can, to the extent that their customers demand it. If gas stays at or above $4/gal, people will demand more efficiency and will tolerate less power. But with product lead times being what they are, we won't see the real fruits of that for three years or so, at least.

I just hope that someone still makes gas guzzling family sedans for Neandertals like me to buy.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote