View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
It doesn't just depend on how many miles you'll put on, but how you'll put them on. If it's only going to used for trips to Montreal with your wife a couple times a year, and expect to own it for five years, A new car might be nicer. If you're only going to use it to commute (particularly a very short commute), and expect to own/use it for an indeterminate amount of time, buying something old and used (not a late model "previously owned" car) probably makes more sense. If by "needed something larger" it means an occasional Home Depot run, you may as well make it an older Ranger or other compact truck. If larger means something to accomodate a child and lots of crap on the trips to Montreal, that's something different.
It's all of the above.

Well, it would be cool to have a used, POS Tacoma/Ranger to commute the couple of miles I need to and use as a utilitarian truck AND have a nicer new family wagon, but I think I'm better of with a slightly used wagon and towing a small utility trailer when I need the extra capacity (in fact, I'm considering doing that now with the 9-2X).

Whatever "nice performance car" we have (currently the 330i, who knows what in the future) will likely become a weekend/back-up car. So the wagon/SUV/whatever has to pretty much take care of everything else. Unless, again, I get a true POS compact truck as a 3rd car.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote