View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
armaq
Jaded

Carmudgeonly Ride: 1984 Schwinn Madison
Imola Red pics and a few thoughts on the car

I've driven plenty of ZHPs before, but as we all know, living with a car on a daily basis is different from short test drives. I won't repeat its strongpoints, since everyone knows. Here are things that I don't like:

- It's too damn quiet inside, to a point where I'm wanting to get an intake and maybe a exhaust. I'm almost annoyed by the lack of real engine noise, my old 328i and my friend's 330i Sport are louder than this car. Has anyone tried removing the sound insulation piece on the hood?

- I miss the torque of the S52. This car, no matter what kind of 0-60 or 1/4 mile times it can pull, just doesn't feel fast.

- The clutch is definitely the weakpoint. I can shift pretty smoothly, but I don't like it. I will try a clutch stop and CDV removal.

- I'm having tourble down-shifting, and I think it's a DBW related problem. The engine just doesn't respond to my throttle blips. Maybe I'm not blipping correctly - in the M3 a slight tap on the pedal would do it, but this car requires more action. 3rd to 2nd is the worst, it seems unless the revs are very low in 3rd, I have to rev the hell of it to get the rpm matched for 2nd. Any tips? Also, I find myself double-clutching 90% of the time, it just seems the 2-foot action gives it more fluidity.

- Is it me or the Pilot Sport's are hella noisy? My rears probably need to be replaced soon, but still, all I hear on the highway is tire noise. Also, I'm thinking about ditching the 18 inchers. I hear with tire, each corner weighs over 50lbs. Would it look weird with M68s (my fav E46 wheels)? I think the 17s can lose 10lbs of unsprung weight per corner, that gotta make a nice difference in performance/mpg. Plus, 17" rubbers are a lot cheaper. Any thoughts?

- The NAV. It was nice to have it on the long trip, but driving around town, I kinda find it to be an overkill. I tried driving with it off, but then I lost the clock. Right now I feel I prefer the simplicity of a normal dash with an onboard computer, maybe I will get used to getting info from the screen.

All in all, I love the fluidity of this car. A 330i Sport is probably capable of 90% of the ZHP's potential, but that extra 10% is hard to dig. IMO, in the used car market, ZHP over Sport is a no brainer. I think this car could be quite perfect - with the S52 and M3 drivetrain that is.

Feel free to discuss. Here are some pics I took. Since the sun was going down, I only had time for a quick wash and shoot.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7758a.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	1566  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7763a.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	1567  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7766a.jpg
Views:	461