Thread: M3 vs. GTI
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #59
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I disagree ... if you were a sports car driver and let's say you drove a Miata or a 911 on a regular basis I can understand you saying the car feels Gt'ish but being you are driving a convertible 3 series moving up into a M car should feel like you just jumped into a very sporty machine.

Btw this is not knocking a convertible 3 series .. you know I love your car but the M is the next level of car.
Also as far as the techy part, this is the norm nowadays ... you need to get with the times ...
Perhaps you've spent some time behind the wheel of an M4? I don't know, if you had and your experience was different from mine, that's valid, but you can't tell me how I feel as a result of my experience with the car is wrong and that I should feel differently (and exactly as you) because of a set of arbitrary parameters you've invented - that's stupid. I've taken two long trips, as driver and passenger, in an M4, over country roads and in the city, I drove it quite a bit and know it well enough.

The M4 is a beautiful GT with very high limits, limits that can be properly explored at track day (if you could afford the loss if you wrecked it). Around town, it's large (wide), heavy and cumbersome, the tech stuff is a nice distraction that holds no appeal to me (except for HUD, that was nice) - it's also quite garish, which matters to me, I don't like driving around in cars that make we feel like I'm shouting.

I also don't believe in "next level cars" as a sure thing - a 911 is supposed to be a level up from a Boxster or Cayman, yet I'd take one of the latter P's any day of the week, regardless of price.

I suggested FC try one - he's had a number of third cars now, including at least two Porsches, so I'm not sure what would satisfy him - however, I didn't advise him to repurchase a ZHP (which IMO, IS way more fun as a daily driver).

Frankly, I'm not sure why my opinion bothers you so much - I've been around a LOT of cars over 45 years of driving, I know what I like. In the end, it's just a car, no one really cares what I think nor what you think, the important thing is to buy and enjoy the car that lights YOU up, not the car you think others are admiring as you drive by ...
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote