View Single Post
Old 12-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #308
robg
Carmudgeon

Inspired by Lemming (and reminded by Nick), I'm resurrecting this thread since I decided to pass on an X5 hybrid I had on order and am considering a GTI (holy indecision batman).

Next car I have on order is a mk8 GTI autobahn (since September) but with VW's supply chain issues its up in the air as to when it would actually arrive. Dealer has no clue...and that's fine with me because I can take my time waffling about it. Surprisingly the GTI has nearly all the same features as the fairly loaded x5 i'd specced.

The infotainment and haptic steering wheel buttons do kinda suck, but after playing around with it at a dealer it's not as bad as some reviewers make it out to be. Overall its probably no worse than the slow and clunky infotainment in our RRS..though the lack of dedicated climate control/seat heat buttons in the GTI probably makes it more irritating on balance.

I have never actually driven one since the local dealers never have any in stock (and when they do they treat the GTI like some sort of limited edition rare supercar) but maybe I need to look on Turo or something. Seats and driving position seemed good based on sitting one in the showroom back in the summer. Since I"m spending the money on the autobahn I'm also considering just going for an R instead (wife would prefer AWD too). When I last asked about those, they had no allocations and the few they had were going for way over sticker. Maybe thats changed now.

Has anyone driven a mk8 here?

Last edited by robg; 12-15-2022 at 02:00 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote