Old 10-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #1554
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
These are troubling choice of words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Ignoring the sketchy "black box" logging/data sharing issue - the plan to look at how autopilot and human actions differ in an accident will be pretty neat to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, this is actually a pretty solid proposal. Coming up with the record evidence to allow any sort of risk-based regulation of these technologies is a huge trick; this will go a long way toward providing the info that NHTSA needs to decide how best to regulate these things going forward.

I still have no interest in a car that drives itself, which to me is like a self-licking ice cream cone. But I know I'm in the minority.
Have you guys been following the discussions about how cars should be programmed in terms of choosing what/who to hit when collisions are unavoidable?

There is still so much shit to figure out.

Assuming the threshold has been crossed that autonomous cars are good enough that they should be allowed to be used in the market, is it best to push the technology out before ethics and regulations catch up?

Does anyone want to sit on the jury for the first case of a manufacturer being sued when a baby gets hit in a crosswalk and the car chose to mow them down rather than swerve into oncoming traffic and risk the driver?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote