Thread: CarPlay rant
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #26
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Hmm- trying to think of places where idrive is worse than a touch screen. The only things I can think of are manually entering destinations in the nav (Which I rarely had to do since the voice recognition was excellent in idrive 6) or using Apple carplay (Which my old car didn’t have but even if it did I wouldn’t have bothered with it). For which functionality do you find it less convenient than a touch screen ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are 2 parts of bmw’s system where touch screen is better and you need to be really familiar with it to understand what I will try to describe.

The screen has like 7 (maybe more or less) tiles on the main screen (radio, nav, phone, etc.) when you want to open up the radio station your listening to and when you want the weather you just touch the tile it is displayed on where with the idrive you need to click on the tile and which then opens up the menu.

In the radios case when you click the tile it brings you to the radio menu (presets, etc) in the weather’s case when you click the tile with idrive it opens connect drive(or whatever it’s called).

Then you need to click again to the menu you want ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote