View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #71
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Any time.
But, seriously...

You can't see a lot of physical impediments. After my dad's heart issues were diagnosed, he was given a placard. If you spent a few minutes around him at that point, you wouldn't have no doubt he clearly needed it. But, if you saw him getting out of the car, he was someone you would have summarily judged to be abusing the system.

My mother, OTOH, has had placards/tags since having a massive stroke over 35 years ago that she never fully recovered from. If you saw her getting in or out of a car, you'd think "that's who handicapped spaces are made for."

What often happens, though, is she'll go somewhere with someone other than her driving (and she hasn't driven in over six years), park in a HC spot, put the placard on the mirror, go into the place, and if the spot isn't right at the door, whoever drove her will get the car and pull it around to the door so she won't have to walk as far.

If you saw me getting into the car, you'd think, "that dirty cheating motherfucker," but what you think you're seeing wouldn't be what you're actually seeing.

To make it more complicated, sometimes, we'll get to a place and she'll want to be dropped off at the door. Then, there's a call to make...park in a HC spot because she may insist on walking to the car instead of being picked up or park in a regular space. I've been told different things about the legality parking in the spot under those circumstances, but have never looked at the regulations around them in the places we've been, so I don't know. [PBA card joke here? Too soon?]

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote