View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgurl View Post
I know Barrett-Jackson is coming up soon but that seems like overkill.

Any recommendations?
Barrett-Jackson

Just kidding... I'll be going to Barrett-Jackson and some of the other auctions in AZ (there's 3-4 others like RM and Russo-Steele that do auctions the same week as the mega-sized Barrett-Jackson). But then again, I live a few miles north of where the auctions are held.

If you're a car nut, you really should plan a pilgrimgage to Barrett-Jackson at some point. This will be my 3rd year in a row that I'm going, and I've been a couple other times before it got really big (this year there are just under 1300 cars just at Barrett-Jackson -- I remember going in '89 or '90 and thought it was huge when there were "only" 300 or so...).

A good friend of mine is an auction nut, and will be staying with us for the week of the auctions -- he likes to register as a bidder so he can go up on stage to look at the cars (although I don't think he'll be bidding...). He's also managed to get us invites to some of the cocktail parties held -- we went to the RM party last year and it was amazing -- many of the cars current owners were there to answer questions, and the crowds were much smaller. RM also had some interesting new cars on display, with reps to discuss -- we talked with the Spyker rep for a bit, and kidded around with the Rolls Royce rep...

If anyone's going to be in Phoenix in mid-Jan, let me know...