FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Re: V70 T5 impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Interesting. My parents have the XC and you know what that's like. We're leaning towards a slightly used MB E320 whenever it is that we are ready, but I always keep the V70T5 and V70R on my back pocket since they are cheaper.
I haven't driven an E320 wagon, but the E320 sedan I drove was singularly unpleasant.* No body control, no steering feel, no power, and an interior that (like many recent MBs) just didn't feel nice enough to justify the cost. IMHO, all MBs are laughably overpriced, and the E320 is no exception.

I would buy a V70 T5 over an E320 in less time than it takes you to say "247 hp."

______
*In contrast, the E500 that I drove was pleasant, given the stiffer air suspension and the giant horsepower increase. But it's still not worth what they ask for it.
I agree. They are grossly overpriced.

If we get that cheap SUV and push off the wagon purchase to 2007 and after, then hopefully the 320CDI with 369 lb-ft of torque will be available. That should start at under 50K (still a lot, but more bearable). I am not thrilled with all the electro-crap they have put on that car, but it would be a luxury family wagon for my wife primarily, so it will be her call. I find the E-wagon to be beautiful and very practical and BIG. I always keep the Volvo T5/R in my back pocket because they are cheaper and combined with ED and my corporate savings I could get a new R or T5 for what I would pay for a 2-3 year old E-wagon. We'll see. I am yet to drive either since we are a ways off.

If the E320CDi is available and we can afford a 50K+ wagon, odds are we will do ED on one. Otherwise, it will be between a used E320/E500 or a new T5/R, and I have a feeling the $$$ saved alone will point us to the Volvos. They will likely be a new generation by then anyhow.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote