View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Sure, if you are projecting heavy track use, it will be $$$ compared to a miata or sth. But for weekend and some weekday use, it should be fine. In some ways they feel simpler and more robust than bmw's.
Hm.

I just look at our lone Porsche owner in the office and think of the thousands and thousands he's spent on repairs and up keep of his Boxster over the last few years. Just mind boggling. Both the cost of the routine maintenance and the cost of the repairs. And he doesn't even rev the engine over 4000 rpm nor drive it anywhere close to hard. Just scoots around the city and an occasional in-state road trip. Granted, he does have 100,000 miles on the car, the same as our BMW, but our BMW has been a bargain in comparison in terms of cost of maintenance and upkeep and I flog the ZHP regularly.

Admittedly, a sample of one is not a good sampling. Actually, make that a sampling of two. I had another friend who ran a Boxster S. Similarly high maintenance/repair costs, though he didn't keep his car as long. Finally got rid of it.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote