View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
I remain skeptical that a Porsche will as cost effective to maintain and repair as a Nissan.

The old 350z was never my cup of tea. I liked the styling when it came out and it's ok still, but it always seemed very heavy and based on research the handling seemed like it was somewhere between a sports car and a muscle car. Definitely better than a muscle car but still "chunky". From my time inside a 350z, however, I couldn't stand the visibility out of the car.

Not sure the visibility of the 370z is that much better but every other aspect about the car seemed significantly improved over the 350z. The handling seems much improved, weight reduced by ~200 lb., 30+ more hp, nicer interior, etc. etc.

I'm also realizing my comfort zone for car ownership is on the lower-end of the price scale. Take our ZHP for instance. . . so far it's been pretty good and I've loved it as a sport sedan. But I'm concerned about potentially expensive out-of-warranty repairs down the road. A $1-2k repair I can stomach, but getting several of those in a 1-2 period? This isn't to say less expensive cars are necessarily more reliable, just that when they require shop time it tends to be less costly (less costly parts and no "Fancy Car Preimum" for shop time).

I'd have no concerns about maintaining a Miata out of warranty, for example. And a lot less concern about a 370z (though this may be out of ignorance or lack of Nissan ownership experience) than I would any P-car.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote