View Single Post
Old 11-11-2023, 03:37 PM   #27
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
My wife drove the MCS today. Not the exact car, but a different Special Edition similarly spec'ed. I did not drive it.

What I noticed was a sporty ride but still more comfortable than the R56 MCS with 16"s on. Car had Pirelli P-Zero's on 18" wheels. I was amazed with the level of comfort given how little rubber there was on the tire. The car still handled well even with three adults. It also moved quickly. I would say about the same as the R56 MCS and had good rigidity. Pretty impressive. The roof mechanism was pretty cool and used no latches.

Overall, it was a BIG step up in refinement, equipment, technology, and quality compared to our last mini. My wife loved it.

She is still torn about it, but what I told her was that while the number of cars may not justify it, the reality is that soon enough one or two boys will almost entirely claim use of the GTI, at which point, that leaves the LR4 to her. We all love the LR4 as a family vacation car, but it is old and the tech is ancient. And she doesn't like driving it to the city. She would much rather drive the Mini.

So what I told her was to look at things differently. The LR4 is the oldest car we have. Let's leave it for specific duties and as a back-up vehicle, and driver her car (Mini) everyday and leave the GTI for the kids.

She wants it but feels bad. I may have to overrule her on this and get it for her.

EDIT: I found later that the peak torque (209 lb-ft) arrives at 1250 rpm. That is basically off-idle. Impressive. Also, Mini Coopers are considered VERY reliable since 2014 (current 3rd gen).
FC is offline   Reply With Quote