View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #319
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Oh.

So the back story is this engine had a really rough life with me. Very early on I had a bad calibration for the coolant temp sensor and I inadvertently overheated it several times as a result. After that, it saw a couple of crazy boost spikes (higher than my MAP sensor would read, so probably 25-30psi). After that, I ran it lean a lot chasing fuel issues. I didn't really care because I knew I was going to pull the motor and build a really strong one after this season.

Well mid-season it started smoking pretty badly. Lots and lots of blowby. I did a compression check on it, and each hole was just slightly higher than I measured in my lawnmower. So, not good. 110-120psi. More than likely the compression rings either cracked or fatigued from the abuse.

At Nats, during my run days it started getting worse and worse. My third run it blew a hole in a piston and lost power. I haven't torn down the motor yet but I'm assuming only the cylinder head is usable at this point, which is fine. Long blocks are cheap, and I was going to put rods and pistons in it anyway.

Next motor will have higher static compression (10.5 or 11:1) to help turbo spool and torque off corners, and much stronger rods and pistons, plus head studs in case I ever want to run even more boost.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote