View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #16
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
After almost 5? 6? Years with the NC, I have to say I find it to be incredibly enjoyable. I hate the stock springs but the car is extremely well built and the engine is well designed.

I wouldn't see this car being displaced but for a pre-owned 981 or 991.

There are very few cars built this lightweight but also retaining structural integrity. For example, my R56 would be in pieces by now. And until Subaru moves to twin scroll turbocharging, the softness off the line makes those cars up appealing to me.
I'm not fond of the spring / shocks in the NC either. Especially considering I have the "suspension package" with the Bilsteins. I looked for a Miata with that package mostly to get the limited slip diff. The stock handling is . . . mostly great for me. I like it a lot better than our ZHP and enjoy how nimble and playful the car is. Though in sweepers the car can get a bit wallowy. I'm figuring at about 100k (or when the shocks are shot) I'll do a mild upgrade to the suspension. Probably toss on a set of used RX-8 swaybars for ~$100 and upgrade the shocks / springs though I don't want to lower the car.

The issue for me is that while the NC has been derided for its 4x4-like ride height (or wheel / fender gap) I'm not sure I want to lower the car. After 2 years it doesn't look that bad to me anymore and for my area I'm digg'n having enough ground clearance and approach angle that I don't have to worry about curb cuts and speed bumps. . . . but I'd just like to tighten the suspension a tad bit. I'll look into it in another 20k miles or so and see what's available.

The BMW 1 series looks great but, eh, even if it was affordable used I don't think I'd want to get another BMW. Been there, somewhat scared to do that again. And our BMW experience I don't think was horrible. It's just, I dunno. . . not something I want to do again until we can more comfortably afford it.

As far as the MINI. . . . They look like they'd be a pretty fun car to drive, particularly the R56 S's. But . . . they're another BMW product and I don't want to go there again.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote