View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #44
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
What's wrong with that warning? Or any of them really? More information is better than less
It's a "boy who cried wolf" thing. I'm generally listening to music or a podcast when Waze notifies me that there's a hazard ahead (typically a car stopped on the shoulder). I don't really care if there's a car stopped on a shoulder. I don't even really care if there's roadkill ahead, or a pothole. There are also red light cameras all over DC / Maryland / VA. I don't run red lights, so I don't care. Maybe it's just here, but these things happen enough that the interruption is really irritating to me and makes me likely to ignore it whenever it calls out a hazard... so I might very well miss one that is important. Users have asked over and over again to allow us to turn off those notifications but... no dice.

The police don't really speed trap my normal commute to and from work, so I don't use Waze commuting anymore... just on long trips. Mostly in Virginia, because their freeways typically have a cop every ten miles, and in DC, where there is a speed camera roughly every square mile.

edit: Bren, I was told that Waze gives you "points" for reporting stuff and that these points get you some sort of status in the app.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote