View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 12:02 AM   #523
robg
Carmudgeon

Tesla Model ≡ Thread

Got a ride in someone's Model 3 today- was a RWD one with the base wheels in blue.
Some impressions:
-Exterior door handles were annoying (but I expected that).
-Build quality was better than I expected (though still not as good as i'd like). No squeaks or rattles but panel gaps were meh (FCA-ish)
-Fake leather feels better than BMW's base leather (Dakota). Would have to try it for longer to see if my sweaty back concerns would be an issue. Seats felt comfy but seat cushion was a bit short
-The on-screen controls look too small/finicky to reliably use while driving. Opening the glovebox and controlling the vents using the screen made me smile for the gimick factor, but I could see stuff like that annoying me over the long term.
-doors closed with a better sound than I expected (better than Model S)
-The owner couldn't stop gushing about it (he got it 3 weeks ago). Previous car was a Subaru Outback.
-Backseat was fine but not noticeably better than a 3 series or A4 other than the lack of middle hump. less room for feet to slide under front seats than in those cars IIRC.
-Hard to say whether trunk seemed bigger than those cars. The owner kept his charging equipmnent in the frunk which seemed to take most of that space up.
-Love the view over the dash. Reminds me of 80s Hondas
-Definitley will test drive one at some point.

I kinda want one, but I also am not sure I like the overall packag better than, say, an Audi S4 (when compared with a dual motor model 3), or even BMW M3 (comparing to performance model 3). If the RWD/PUP/LR/met paint combo were cheaper out the door than a comparable 4 cyl A4 or 3 series, that would be interesting. But a "prestige" S4 with niceties such as Nappa leather massgaing seats, surround cameras, HUD, beautiful build quality, etc start to add up when comparing to a dual motor loaded model 3. Are the instant torque and cheaper energy costs really enough to overcome the downsides? For those of you who recently placed orders, what pushed this car ahead of the similarly priced (but conventional) competitors? I think if i were willing to buy one and planned to keep it for 8-10 years I'd trust that it would cost me less to maintain than similarly priced German car (There isn't much to go wrong other than that screen after all).

Last edited by robg; 08-27-2018 at 05:07 AM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote