View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 07:38 AM   #18
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Attached is a picture of a stripped MZR on an engine stand. It's not my engine.

On the rear of the block /cylinder head there are two accessory items that stick out. One is the EGR valve (rear of cylinder with black "top hat") and the other is the cylinder water outlet (the black pipe on the rear of the block, above the Miata headlight in the pic). Both of those foul on the firewall when you put an MZR in an RX-8.

The EGR I'm not worried about - I'll delete it and put a blockoff plate in its place. The water outlet is a bigger problem, because obviously I can't delete it. One good thing about choosing the MZR is the engine is cheap, light, and as a result popular for swapping into stuff like Caterhams and old British cars. There are a few companies that have designed unique water rails which remove that factory water outlet and replace it with something much lower-profile. this piece takes the water and routes it above the exhaust ports on the passenger's side of the engine towards the front. I think if I use something like this the engine might come close to bolting in without anything other than lowering it a couple of inches.

anyway... options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25swap-1.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	544.0 KB
ID:	11609  

Last edited by John V; 01-08-2018 at 07:54 AM.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote