View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #17
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Now you're speaking my language. I've had a similar debate going for almost three years, with the extra wrinkle that I already own a late 987S in ideal (for us) spec.

First off, I love Miatas, but I can't see replacing this car with a Miata. They just don't have enough room for long-distance travel, and that's a major use case for us. Second, it's almost equal dollars to go from our car to a new ND. Maybe a used ND2?

Second, I'm with you (FC) on the later four cylinder cars. It seems like they will depreciate faster than any Porsche in recent memory, but the turbo 4 ruins the car, IMO. The sound and feel are all wrong for me.

Third, 981s are great. A little big, and a little disconnected-feeling, but great. The interior and exterior styling are a big step up. But man, I have a hard time ponying up $50k for a used car especially when it only does things *a little* better than a car I already own and love. Some unseen force pulls me back when I see a used vehicle price with five digits and a '5' up front, particularly when I know the number my car would sell for starts with a '2'

I guess if I were in your shoes with an M3 in the garage I'd have a really hard time pulling the trigger on another expensive sports car. I don't really see the point. Don't they execute pretty much the same mission? Maybe that's just an indicator of how detached I've become from modern BMWs. I don't really see the point of the M3, as it exists today
I somehow thought you'd sold your Boxster, happy to hear you still have it.

I would have had a 987.2 if I could but they were very hard to find in 2015-16 for what I thought were "reasonable" prices.

Subjectively:

The 987.2 has some major advantages over the 981:
- Better steering feel (hydraulic)
- Simpler cabin/narrower car
- Slightly more playful drive (less smooth susp?)
- Better gearing/none of this 20" nonsense
- A real handbrake, none of this e-brake nonsense

The 981 has
- Better outside looks (especially on the boxster, less on the cayman)
- Better cabin, perhaps comfier seats
- Smoother shifter
- Proper firm brakes
- Perhaps more settled/planted drive; smoother suspension
- A bit better engine sound, non-PSE to non-PSE

There is not much upgrade there if the 987.2 is in good shape. The engines are the same, the gearing and steering are better on the 987.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote