View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Now you're speaking my language. I've had a similar debate going for almost three years, with the extra wrinkle that I already own a late 987S in ideal (for us) spec.

First off, I love Miatas, but I can't see replacing this car with a Miata. They just don't have enough room for long-distance travel, and that's a major use case for us. Second, it's almost equal dollars to go from our car to a new ND. Maybe a used ND2?

Second, I'm with you (FC) on the later four cylinder cars. It seems like they will depreciate faster than any Porsche in recent memory, but the turbo 4 ruins the car, IMO. The sound and feel are all wrong for me.

Third, 981s are great. A little big, and a little disconnected-feeling, but great. The interior and exterior styling are a big step up. But man, I have a hard time ponying up $50k for a used car especially when it only does things *a little* better than a car I already own and love. Some unseen force pulls me back when I see a used vehicle price with five digits and a '5' up front, particularly when I know the number my car would sell for starts with a '2'

I guess if I were in your shoes with an M3 in the garage I'd have a really hard time pulling the trigger on another expensive sports car. I don't really see the point. Don't they execute pretty much the same mission? Maybe that's just an indicator of how detached I've become from modern BMWs. I don't really see the point of the M3, as it exists today
John V is offline   Reply With Quote