View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #58
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post
LOL- 'quite a trip' is relative...
When I was growing up, a Sunday often consisted of my parents packing us all in the station wagon (1978 Ford Country Squire) for a scenic drive and a picnic.

We'd leave Monterey in the morning and go to..... Yosemite for a picnic lunch in the valley or maybe at the Ahwahnee. Do some touring around then drive back. That is about 200 miles each way - and we'd always take fun detours on the way over or back.

Guess that is why, to this day - I often take 400 mile drives on a Saturday or Sunday - just to get out of the house.
Here is one I do a couple of times each year.... https://goo.gl/maps/uSW4KrXdovm
Leave in the morning and have lunch in Leavenworth or Winthrop and do some looking around... then head home.

My brother's kids also have been brought up in the 'road trip' environment - Big vacation driving trips from Monterey to Utah or Montana or... Texas.... are a yearly activity. We get our Danish relatives in on the act as well when they visit - they really love it. Especially much so as the scenery is so different from what they have in northern Europe.
But - I guess we are just a bit weird.
I LOVE taking road trips.

When my gf and I were doing the traveling CT/x-ray tech thing, we'd drive between 400 and 600 miles a day to get to our assignments. I'd lead with my 3 and she'd follow with her Odyssey. We would communicate via 2-way radios.

We've driven across the country a total of 8 times, each time taking different routes.

I remember one particular road trip in winter when we were heading east from CA to MA. There was HUGE weather front that was dumping A LOT of snow. We were trying to keep ahead of it and ended up driving close to 700 miles that one day.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Last edited by 3LOU5; 02-25-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Edit
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote