Thread: Dial 911
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #678
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Maybe I am naive or in some sort of denial, but to me, spending more than 3k usually means serious drivetrain work.

As an example, one of the two major issues LR4's have are the cooling system (a particular plastic pipe that cracks and the water pump) or the timing chain tensioner guides (which my car being a 2013 should be immune to, but there are conflicting reports about that). The former is anywhere from a 600 to 1500 job depending on what it involves and who does it (indy vs. dealer). The latter is a 3k-5k job, again, with the higher estimate for a dealer. The air shocks are not cheap (many hundreds per corner) but have proven reliable and long lasting - even in a rover.

Once again, given my lower mileage, I have not worried about it.

My 997TT kept me up at night because of the cooling pipe issue afflicting the Mezger engines, but at 90k miles it never came up. A leaking u-joint needed replacement and the dealer charged $400. The clutch master cylinder work that was covered under warranty was $2500. Not peanuts, but for a car like that, still not crazy. Even on that car, the replacement of the cooling pipe issue was discussed as a $3-4k job.

My point is, that in my experience, it takes something quite involved or a major failure to rack up a bill in excess of $5k. ...or apparently having suspension components made out of unobtanium. ;-)

But if you fear multiple small issues, that certainly can add up quickly.
If you're talking about work at a Porsche dealer, getting to 3K is no problem. The local P car dealer wanted to charge me $400 for an oil change.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote