Thread: Still waffling
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Short update. Did a quick evening drive to an audi dealer...

Did not drive an s4 but drove an a4 sport tiptronic demo (MT has to be searched or ordered in this area). So so... Dramatically better than the a4 non-sport (the suspension delta is larger than in bmws, it's almost xi -> i sport), the seats are much better as well. So I will not consider a non-sport a4, regardless of deal, colour, price. Grip and road feel through seat is much improved, the 18's, 30% firmer springs and summer tires do really help things. Not surprising that this car can slalom at 69-70mph (non-sport on all-seasons is around 65).

However, the steering still feels, ODD. Bummer as I was getting geared up to buy one. I can't remember now if the s4 feels as odd, but I somehow don't think so. Am I really going to cost myself $15K (plus tax and extras, perhaps $20K) for steering feel?

Also, the evening's drive removed the 4th possibility. The cayman roxxx and no s4 or m3 would quite scratch that itch that will surely arise were I to sell it. Its only replacement is some much more expensive porsche (even the 997S is borderline) and I'm not at point yet. Or if I were going into serious savings mode, I'd sell it. Since I'm muddling along, neither raking it in nor going bankrupt, it stays.

Selling the cayman was my brother's advice, he just doesn't understand two cars. He is not forceful or anything, I just shouldn't waffle near him. He is in the area for a semester of research. He is excused though as he lives in another country and he is not into cars and doesn't have much income. He also doesn't realize the drug-like effects of driving around in something awesome.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote